Friday, July 6, 2007

Small World

I inherited a mac laptop from school. What I mean by this is that a teacher left, and the next year I got her powerbook. Great thing about macs is that many people are afraid of them. The "tech" at our school didn't know the first thing about macs. So, the computer wasn't wiped cleaned. The previous owner loved music and put her entire music collection on it. For this, I give thanks. She also had taste...Belle and Sebastian, Cat Power, Daft Punk, Rufus Wainwright, Lucinda Williams, etc. Well, I really started getting into Lucinda Williams at the time and the computer had Car Wheels on a Gravel Road and Essence. I listened to those albums all the time. Well, one day the teacher/poet who taught next to me (i was at a public school dedicated to the arts in New Orleans for middle schoolers; no I didn't teach an art subject (history for me) and yes Katrina killed it) asked me what I was listening to lately. I said Lucinda Williams and asked if ever heard her. His response, "Oh Cindy, I got her birthday card in last week. I'm glad to see you like real music." Well, yes the bottom of jaw was dirty from hitting the ground. My friend, Ralph, studied under father at either Tulane or Loyola. In fact, he was at their house when she got kicked out of high school for refusing to say the pledge. I would have loved to ask for more stories of her, but this was the last week of August 2005 in New Orleans.

No comments: